Thursday, October 8, 2009

Red Velvet Cake



For some reason my Mom made Red Velvet Cake for me and my twin brother every year on our birthday (even when he was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes she made two versions, one with sugar substitutes). It's still my favorite and I crave it every year around September. I finally got the recipe from her so I made a cake (a little belatedly) for my 35th birthday (Allen arranged the candy decorations). It didn't turn out quite as good as I remember but it was better than the Red Velvet cupcakes and cakes I've tried recently and I'll certainly make it again soon.

My Mom was a Home Ec teacher for a number of years and it turns out this recipe is from a '70s book titled "Favorite Recipes from Home Economic Teachers - Dessert Edition, including party beverages." Who wouldn't trust Home Ec teachers to come up with the best dessert recipes from the 70s! (I'll have to take a picture of the cookbook cover for a later post, it's vintage and classic.) I'd like to pull a Julie and Julia and make a butter laden recipe a day for the next year, though I'd skip the blogging in lieu of the eating. Anyway, enough with the reminiscing...here's the recipe:

Red Velvet Cake (Waldorf)
1/2 cup shortening (stick margarine or butter)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 oz red food coloring
2 Tbs cocoa
2 1/4 cup plain flour
1 scant tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp butter flavor (if desired)

Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Make a paste with coloring and cocoa and add to mixture. Add salt and flour with buttermilk and vanilla. Alternately add soda and vinegar and don't beat hard, just blend. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Bake in two 8" pans greased and floured. Layers may be split to make 4.

Frosting:
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup butter, oleo or shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1 cup granulated sugar

Cook flour and milk on low heat until thick. Cool. Cream sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add to flour and milk mixture. (Be sure flour and milk mixture is cool first!) Beat until mixture is like whipped cream. Spread on layers.



8 comments:

fayza said...

I love red velvet cake, but more than that, I love the decorations ON that cake.

Candy said...

Ugg Boots
Uggs
Ugg Shoes
Ugg Sheepskin Boots
Ugg Australia Boots


Bailey Button UGG Boots
Ugg Bailey Button

Classic Cardy Ugg Boots
Cardy Ugg Boots
Ugg Classic Cardy

Classic Mini Ugg Boots
Mini Ugg Boots

Classic Short Ugg Boots
UGG Classic Short Boots

Classic Tall Ugg Boots
Tall Ugg Boots

Infant Erin Ugg Boots
Kids Ugg Boots

Nightfall Ugg Boots
Ugg Nightfall

Short Metallic Ugg Boots
Ugg Metallic Boots

Sundance II Ugg Boots

Tall Metallic Ugg Boots

UGG Amelie Suede Sandals
Amelie Suede Sandals Uggs

UGG Fluff Flip Flop

UGG Tasmina Braid Sandals
Tasmina Braid Sandals Boots

UGG Tasmina Sandals

Ultra Short Ugg Boots

Ultra Tall Ugg Boots
Ultra Uggs

Mini Ugg Boots
Mulberry Ugg Boots
Romantic Flower Ugg Boots
Ugg Boots Mulberry
Classic Tall Ugg Boot

Lucky Girl said...

mmmm, there is nothing quite like red velvet cake. i want this. now!

suvidha galaxy said...

Nice to See. I will come back again.
Keep it up.
Enjoy
Get Fresh, Laugh with

Babies Version

Ravindra

Catpad said...

i love evry sing picture that you have posted on your blog.
it looks really but really good! oh i wish i could taste it!!

this cake, looks AMAZING!

Sarah Jane said...

I love red velvet cake! yum yum!

an muti said...

Minecraft Skins: . How do you feel if your charaters have very new and fashionable Minecraft download skins in many games of Minecraft at this Christmas and up-coming Tet holiday? It will be really fun. Now let me make it come true. I am so excited to be with you in every Mina hrefecraft game! 

Minecraft Mods:
. Just like Skins, you seem to get so bored with some Minecraft mod 1.6.4 you have ever used. Would you like to take part in extremely modern and great new games as well as experience the exciting atmostphere that you have never tried before? I guess all of you cannot wait more for these wonderful things. Let’s get started to join these games and I will show you how easy it is to find out the other Minecraft mods.

Minecraft Maps:
. Hmmm… In Minecraft, I like this part most. Do you know why? Well, as you can see, Minecraft dwonload Maps is so great because you cannot discover any challenge in every game without Minecraft maps. The wonderful. Minecraft Maps usually interest me so much but my PC configuration is not suitable. LOL…! However , I do not give up even no matter hard it is. Now I have much more Maps Minecraft than ever after a long time discovering. All of you are welcomed to visit my blog and take a look at these Maps Minecraft. LOL… All is for everyone who are keen on Maps Minecraft. I really hope our Minecraft community will gradually become greater and happier in near future.
Minecraft Texture Packs:
. I rarely search about it , but I also have many Minecraft download Texture Packs and Resource Packs to share with you. 
New Year are together coming! minecraftfreemods.net Wish you all happiness and best luck! I hope these great holidays will bring us millions of reasons to smile in life! Happy New Year!
Everything will finally be alright! Wish you a successful life! Your all
dreams will definitely come true! <3

MinecraftFreeMods.Net

healthy living magazine said...

For healthy living Healthy Food and Healthy Eating ,daily diet plays an important role. To get healthy and fit a proper and balanced, diet is necessary.
Your article is very nice , I had fun reading this and many great insights here.
Thanks for sharing a nice delicious cake recipe.