Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Grits, Cheese, and Onion Souffle


I made my first souffle and it was a savory one (if that gives you any indication of my food preferences) and it wasn't bad (if I do say so myself)!

This recipe is pretty straight forward. I used smaller (7 oz) ramekins and I actually think any more would have made for a heavy dish. Next time I make it I'll be sure I have enough eggs on hand in case I mess something up. And, I don't like recipes that tell you that ingredients will be divided but don't say how much until you read the directions but I do realize now that I'm too lazy to figure out how to better post it that this is the easiest explanation. Otherwise, I can't think of anything to suggest except you'd better start working out that upper body if you're going to whip those white by hand!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped leek
1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup quick-cooking grits
4 large eggs, separated
3 green onions, chopped

1 cup (packed) grated hot pepper Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 ounces), divided


Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter four 1 1/4-cup soufflé dishes. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and leek; sauté 3 minutes. Mix in 1 1/4 cups whole milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then grits; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until thick, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.


Meanwhile, whisk remaining 1/4 cup milk and yolks in small bowl to blend. Remove grits from heat. Stir in yolk mixture, then green onions and 3/4 cup cheese. Beat whites in medium bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold into grits in 3 additions. Divide mixture among prepared dishes (mixture will come all the way to top of dishes). Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.

Bake soufflés until puffed and brown on top, about 18 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments: