Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Garlic-Miso Pork Chops with Orange Bell Pepper and Arugula



YUM! This is one of my favorite dishes I've made in awhile and it's so very easy. I was a bit worried when I sauteed the pork that I had burned it but it was the miso toasting and crisping and it flaked off very easily. (Next time I may wipe off all the excess marinade before I saute it but, then again, it may help with the flavor?) I didn't find the rib chop at Krogers so I just got a regular pork chop and it worked well. Apparently the only difference is that the rib chop doesn't have the tenderloin but I'm not sure because I've never been good with cuts of meat. Oh, and the salad is simple but really good.

Regardless, try this! You won't regret it. You can find miso at most stores and certainly at a Whole Foods and there are plenty of other great things you can make with the remaining miso.

Ingredients:
4 3/4-inch-thick pork rib chops
2 large garlic cloves, pressed
1/3 cup white miso (fermented soybean paste)
3 tablespoons dry Sherry
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
2 cups (packed) baby arugula
1 orange bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar

Place pork in large shallow dish. Spread garlic thinly on all sides of chops, then spread miso generously over. Sprinkle with Sherry and let stand 5 minutes.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork. Sauté until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Meanwhile, combine arugula and bell pepper in medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil and vinegar; toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper.

Place 1 pork chop on each of 4 plates. Serve with salad; drizzle with any pan juices and more oil, if desired.

From Bon Appétit June 2008
Per serving: 333 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated), 68mg cholesterol, 923mg sodium, 11g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 2g protein (nutritional analysis provided by Nutrition Data)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,

This looks so good. I'll be sure to try and it and let you know how it goes. I love your blog!

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,

How long did this take to cook?

Things I Cook and Bake said...

It only takes about 5 minutes on each side...at the most. I hope you like it!