Monday, February 11, 2008

Soft (or Hard) Polenta

Years ago, when I was a vegetarian, I bought the pre-made polenta logs and tried to grill and pan fry the slices but I never thought they tasted any good. Thankfully I ran into this soft polenta recipe and tried my luck again with the yellow substance because I love soft polenta.

It reminds me of malt-o-meal and it's a healthy alternative to pasta and rice. What? That's not enough? Hmmm...how about the fact that it's cheap and easy to make? No? That doesn't do it for you? Well, it's also a lovely shade of yellow.

Ingredients:
coarse salt and ground pepper
3/4 cup corn meal
3 tablespoons butter

In a large sauce pan over high heat bring 4 coups water with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to a boil. Very gradually, add cornmeal in a thin stream, whisking constantly until smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer, whisking often, until thickened 8 -10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter until smooth.

Now, at this point you can serve it with you Shrimp and Tomatoes or as a side dish for your favorite meats and vegetables. Or, pour it in a bread pan, cover it and put in the fridge to use for Broiled Polenta with Mushroom Ragout or Eggplant and Polenta Casserole.

No comments: