Thursday, February 14, 2008

Cod with Tomato, Olive and Caper Tapenade


I was watching the Food Network HD a couple of weeks ago (seriously insane in HD and jumbo-tron) and caught a bit of Ellie Krieger's Healthy Appetite. She made this great looking cod dish. Unfortunately I wasn't paying too much attention to all the ingredients (thinking I could find it later online -- not the case). I made a pretty close knock-off but it still needs a little umph. I'll keep working on it and update if I come up with a better recipe.

In the meantime, Ingredients:
1 lb cod
1/4 cup kalmata olives, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 small can chopped black olives
1 tablespoon capers
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes salt pepper

1. Sprinkle cod with salt and pepper. Saute in lightly oiled pan for a couple of minutes on both sided (until cooked through). Transfer and set aside (in a low heat oven -- do not let continue to cook)

2. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, saute onion, add garlic, black olives and kalmata olive and toss until heated, add the entire can of diced tomatoes. Let simmer until extra liquid evaporates. Add capers and serve on top of fish. Other things I'm considering next time I make it: only use one type olive, shallots instead of onion, add a bit of balsamic vinegar with the tomatoes, and take notes next time I'm watching the show!